fbpx

HIIT Workouts: My Favorite Way to Get in Shape

HIIT workouts

If you’ve tuned in to my new YouTube channel recently you will probably notice that I’ve added a number of HIIT workouts to my library. High Intensity Interval Training has always been a part of my fitness routine but lately I just can’t get enough of this fast paced, calorie burning workout. Here are just a few reasons why this is my favorite way to get in shape and why you may want to incorporate HIIT into your regular workout regime.

1. You can do it almost anywhere

HIIT workouts can be completely body-weighted or can incorporate minimal equipment such as a pair of dumbbells. This is ideal if you travel often or if you prefer to workout from home, or maybe your gym has limited equipment. Either way with my style of HIIT workouts I’m always sure that I can do them with both minimal space and equipment. When you can workout from pretty much anywhere it makes it pretty tough to come up with excuses 😉

Check out this completely body weighted HIIT workout

2. You don’t have to workout for hours

Because you are pushing yourself for maximum intensity and effort you don’t have to workout for hours. It’s like, get to the point and then get on with your day!

You only need 10 minutes to break a sweat with this workout:

3. It’s crazy effective

Just because you are only working out for shorter periods doesn’t mean you won’t get the results you are hoping for. In my personal experience I’ve achieved way better results through incorporating HIIT workouts than I ever have on a basic weight training and cardio split routine. I’m able to build lean muscle, improve my cardio, increase power and improve agility.

If you’re looking for a real challenge give this one a try:

4. You’ll never get bored

I get bored easily when it comes to working out. It’s easy for me to fall off track or lose interest if things aren’t changing every few weeks. Not to mention the plateau that my body hits when I’m not mixing things up enough. I typically design my HIIT workouts to be full body and introduce new exercises and work/rest combinations so that my body is always adapting.

This is a perfect one for those of you that get bored easily:

5. It’s suitable for all fitness levels

The term High Intensity can sometimes scare beginners off. But the best part about HIIT is that you get to choose the intensity level at which you work. This will be different for each individual so no matter if you are just starting out or you’ve been training for years you can make any HIIT workout more or less challenging by the amount of effort you put in, the type of weights you use or the work/rest combinations you use. As a beginner you may want to start with shorter bursts of intensity followed by longer periods of rest. As you advance you can perform the exact same workout but increase the amount of time you are putting in work and decrease your rest time. You can also bump up that intensity by adding weights/resistance to build even more strength and power.

This workout is a great place to start:

Have you tried incorporating HIIT into your workout routine or is this type of training new to you? Comment below – I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences. Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel as I will be posting new workouts there every week!

Happy Training 🙂

36 thoughts on “HIIT Workouts: My Favorite Way to Get in Shape

1. Danielle Jediny-Racies says:

Hi Heather,

I’ve been using your HIIT &. AB workouts on YouTube & I love them all. You are such a great instructor and your workouts so perfect! I’ve been a runner & biker for a long time but I’ve never been so excited to workout & I don’t get bored with your workouts. I’m very grateful to have found you & your work.

2. Teresa Walters says:

Hello Heather,
    I found your channel 2 weeks ago and starting working out with you. Your routines are challenging and I have been working out for years but not with your format of exercises. Adding weight while doing cardio is helping shed the belly fat. Amazing! Now, I look forward to exercising with you every morning!
    Thank you so much.

• Teresa says:

Estoy siguiendo tu plan de 12 semanas voy por la segunda
      Y me encanta
      Sudo muchísimo y son muy entretenidas
      Empecé a entrenar yo y ahora lo hace también mi hija
      ❤️❤️
      Te seguimos desde España

• Jesica says:

Hola heather! Estoy haciendo el plan de 12 semanas. Ya voy por la semana 5 y estoy muy contenta. He mejorado bastante mi capacidad de entrenamiento. Muchas gracias!!!

• Atar says:

Dear Heather,
      You really made my corona quarantine so much better. I exercise with you every morning and i feel amazing. I’m on week number 3, and really excited to complete your program. Thank you so much!

3. Kate says:

How many times per week is recommended to do HIIT? I just found your YouTube channel and am in love with your workouts! I was previously running 30 -45minutes 3 times a week + rock climbing. Thanks!!

4. Laura Burch says:

Hi Heather,
    I’ve been looking for new workouts, as I get bored with the same ol’ ones…and, after trying several other workouts, I’m SO glad to have come across yours. I absolutely love so much about them….I don’t get bored, I love the exercises you do, the variety of workouts, and I love that I still FEEL the workouts in my muscles afterwards, even after almost a month of working out with them 5 days a week. That impresses me. Keep doing what you’re doing! Absolutely fabulous! Thank you, so much.

• Jenny says:

I’ve been working out with your video for several months …..absolutely ♡ your routines .
      Like many , I got lots going on. I’m a mom to 2 young boys , full time nurse manager, and a Canadian oil field wife . Working out had been my outlet and passion for more than 20yrs. You offer variety , versatility, convenience & results .
      Exactly what a girl like me ( & many) fancies!
      Thanks HR️‍♀️‍♀️‍♀️ keep em’ coming

• Patricia says:

Hi, I found your YouTube channel recently and for the first time I am doing home workouts in a consistent way 🙂 thanks for your 12 week program!! I only have time to do this workouts first thing in the morning. I feel great so far, but wonder if there is any harm in doing it on an empty stomach? No time for eating before :). ..

5. Sara Puharich says:

I just found you yesterday and tried you HIIT with dumbbells. I loved the challenge and have saved a bunch of your videos to continue incorporating both HIIT and strength into my weekly routine as I prep for a Triathlon. Can’t wait to workout tomorrow.

6. Ganapathi says:

Hello…I just happened to watch your YouTube videos of fitness ..they are great with clarity and intensity…thank you very much..

7. sara says:

Hi Heather!

I am such a fan of your Channel and workouts! I really thank you for your amazing work that helps a lot to keep me motivated and not give up! I am just a bit lost about how often I should do each kind of workout. Is there a limit of HIIT workouts you can do in a week? What is the perfect combination or week schedule??

Again THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH

8. evqt says:

I’m having trouble with downloading any of the programs on my iPhone. I have tried to email support but it keeps asking me what 11×2? Is.
    (11repsx2times) right. Help anyone

9. Sherry says:

Hi Heather
    I found you website about 4 weeks ago. I’m currently working on the 28 day challenge. I started working your HITT routines in with my jogging. I’ve gotten comments about weight lost, and I can tell a difference in my clothes. I am grateful for having found your website. I really enjoy the workout challenges. Thanks for sharing!

10. Char says:

Hi Heather, found your workouts just this week and they are amazing- challenging- but amazing!.Just the motivation I needed. Love the HIIT and the music! Look forward to discovering new ones each morning. Big THANK YOU from Australia.

11. Lisa says:

Hi Heather,
    I’ve been working out with your videos on YouTube for the past month. I have to say that I LOVE your work out videos. I’m so very much like you where I get bored easily with work outs; especially with the treadmill. I am started to see results all over my body, and I’m so excited and motivated to do your workouts each day. Thank you! Gal from NJ

12. Alejandra Quintero Herrera says:

Hi Heather! I’m a big fan of your workouts, personally I prefer those with no reps, but have been doing all of them anyway.
    I was wondering how can I calculate how many calories do I burn? My Garmin watch isn’t working so I have no clue.
    Any idea on what I can do to track the burnt calories?
    Thanks from Mexico!!!

13. Lisa says:

Hi Heather
    I really enjoy your low impact workouts! I miss the traditional HIIT workouts but have knees that don’t allow jumping etc. I also have tri ed your strength workouts and targets and love them. My Christmas wish is more low impact workouts

14. Jess says:

Hello! I just recently found you on YouTube, and I am loving the HIIT workouts. I work full time and have 2 children so it’s hard for me to squeeze in a workout. The 20 – 30 minute videos are very effective for me, especially when cardio and weights are combined. It’s nice to be able to modify moves also. The music is great, the preview of the next move is great, and free work outs that I can do at home are also great! Thank you so much!

15. jihane.r.pro says:

Hi, my name is Jihane and l’m from Morocco. I don’t usually comment but I think It’s very important to share my gratitude especially right here on your blog. I really thank you Heather from the bottom of my heart. Your workouts are super effective and you know that when it’s been a long time that you did not exercise and once you restart your body is memorizing all the moves and you have the chance to get a great results even after a long break.
    Again thank you for sharing !

16. Ryan says:

Hey Heather. I just wanted to thank you as a reasonably fit 30 year old male. YouTube suggested one of your 30min HIIT w/ dumbbell workouts about a month ago. Apparently the algorithms are on to my interest in fitness, real-time workout videos, high quality content and gorgeous blondes. Sometimes I’ll step up the dumbbell weight a bit, but most often 30 min trying to hold your pace, form & weight is a perfect challenge. I have since enjoyed a dozen or so of your videos and have been impressed with the number of unique moves/combinations that were new to me. Programs like p90x have been awesome assets over the years….but in the most (lie) innocent of ways; you’re just more fun to follow than Tony Horton. Thanks for the awesome guidance, motivation and results you talented super

17. graves.042473 says:

Hi Heather! I found you during this heavy time and made it a life goal to get back into shape. I have been following the 12 week workout routine regularly and am feeling great! I already follow a healthy meal plan with high protein with lots of fish, veggies and fruit. My question is this: since I started the program I am putting ON the weight, not losing it. I am 47 and I know that the path for me might be different than a 27 year old. But it’s super disheartening to no longer fit into my clothes when I am finally working out. What is going on? Thoughts?

• Heather Robertson says:

I highly recommend that you track progress off of how you feel, and even progress photos. Tracking the numbers on the scale is not always an accurate representation of how you are progressing. As you build lean muscle it is very common for the numbers to go up – and this should be celebrated! Having more lean muscle will in turn help your body burn fat. Trust the process – results that last will take time. Just stay focused on staying healthy and staying active and the rest will fall into place 🙂

18. Jill says:

Thank Gd for you! You are saving my physique and sanity! I was totally in a panic when the gyms closed and I had to teach virtually, yet since I found you; I’m thinking…I got this!!! You’ve changed my workouts forever.
    52 and better than ever. You’re awesome.

19. Hazelle says:

Hello! Does anyone knows what is Heather’s height and the size of the fitness ball she used for her youtube videos? I am keen to get one but I am not able to determine the size for my height. 🙁

20. Eileen says:

I am a regular gym goer who was forced by the pandemic to start working out at home. I found your YouTube channel a few weeks ago and I love your videos. I had been picking and choosing which ones to do until I found your Facebook page. I just subscribed and got my first calendar and started with the 7 day at home challenged. Tonight I did three extra ten minute videos (arms, legs, abs) and my 18 year old son came in the room. He asked me to put on an ab video and we ended up doing three of your ab videos together Before he left the room he asked me to text him a link to your YouTube page.

21. Itzel says:

Hi Heather: I already finished your 12 week and one week programs, and I feel amazing, I am 54 years old, I lost 10 pounds, together with a mild keto diet, I lost 9 inches of waist and my muscles are starting to show. Thank you so much for your workouts, I feel great, I love them, I’ve become fan of you!! Now I plan to restart the hole program again!!!! Which exercises do you recommend to strengthen the stomach?

22. Vesela says:

Hello, Heather,
    Your workouts are the best, definitely 🙂 I’ve followed your 12 week workout plan during the quarantine and it really help me not only to stay in shape, but also to keep my spirit high. The results are great, so thanks a lot.

23. Thomas says:

Thank you very much for providing all those videos. You really helped me through the last couple of weeks/months. I am a german physician working at the ICU and Corona has made my life a lot harder, more work, less colleagues, a lot more stress, less free time. I even got infected, was in quarantine and so on. Doing these workouts on a daily basis helped me a lot to stay focused and to get through this time. I would otherwise probably not have done any exercise at all. So all in all – Thank you.

24. JoAnna Wilemon says:

Hello Heather
    Just wanted to thank you for your sharing your workouts with all of us. You truly have been a lifesaver during this crazy time. My girlfriends and I started a workout accountability group(online) in April, and we love every workout that you post.
    Many thanks for keeping us all going and much love.

25. Mary ElSanabawy says:

I am really thrilled to find a personal trainer who is offering programs online for free because she genuinely wants to help everyone.. THANK YOU!