Blueberries have an outstanding rep for being one of the healthiest foods on the planet. A single cup serving adds a minimal 84 calories to your daily intake but also contains loads of fiber, manganese, vitamin C and vitamin K. However, the real beauty of blueberries lies in the anthocyanins they contain.
The anthocyanins are a group of powerful, health boosting nutrients with a long list of health benefits and blueberries are one of the best food sources for obtaining these power packed nutrients!
By eating blueberries, you can take advantage of the health boosting properties of anthocyanins which include:
• Fighting cancer
• Keeping your blood healthy
• Preventing diabetes
• Reducing inflammation within your body
• Supporting a healthy heart
Blueberries are naturally very sweet but actually contain very little sugar. This makes them the perfect substitute for candy and other sweet treats which often contain hundreds of calories per serving and very few nutrients. By swapping out unhealthy sweet snacks such as cake, cookies and candy for blueberries, you’ll get to enjoy all the health benefits listed above, reduce your daily caloric intake and subside those stubborn sugar cravings.
Blueberries taste fantastic on their own and make a perfect sweet treat in their natural form. However, if you want to get a little creative and add some variety to the way you eat blueberries, check out the serving suggestions below:
• Blueberries & Oatmeal: Prepare your oatmeal as normal and then top with blueberries and a dash of cinnamon to give it a sweet, juicy twist
• Blueberry Waffles – Try out this recipe from out Monthly Meal Plans!
• Blueberries & Greek Yogurt: Place a portion of Greek yogurt in a bowl and top with blueberries. Sprinkle with granola, hemp hearts or flax seed for added benefits!
While blueberries alone aren’t enough to clean up your entire diet or help you lose weight, by having a clear plan and making small, consistent changes to your diet, you’re much more likely to succeed. For more recipe ideas that include blueberries and weekly clean eating menus, check out our Monthly Meal Plan Subscription!