It’s time to start thinking about that summer time six pack! A nice flat, toned tummy comes with eating a clean diet, incorporating cardio exercises and strengthening the core muscles. Consistency is key so get started on your washboard abs now and be ready to show them off this summer.
This workout includes six exercises that will really target the core- back, obliques, upper and lower abdominals. Complete each exercise consecutively for the recommended number of reps and repeat for a total of 3 sets! Be sure to warm up for 5-10 minutes, rest between each set, sip water and stretch after your workout. I recommend adding this routine to your regular weekly workouts three times per week. For extra fat burning results incorporate a minimum of three 30-45 minute cardio sessions per week.
1. Begin in a pushup position, with your weight supported by your hands and toes. Tuck one leg upwards pointing the knee towards the opposite elbow
2. Explosively reverse the positions of your legs, extending the bent leg until the leg is straight and supported by the toe, and bringing the other foot and knee up. Keep your back flat and core tight
3. Repeat in an alternating fashion for 40 repetitions
1. Start in a plank position with wrists directly under your shoulders, legs fully extended just slightly wider than shoulder width apart, back flat and abs tight
2. Jump the legs forward. Your feet should land on the outside of each elbow.
3. Push off the feet to jump the legs backwards in to the starting position
4. Repeat for 15-20 reps
Side Plank/Leg Lift:
1. Lay on your side, in a straight line from head to toe
2. Exhale as you push up through the palm of one hand until your am is fully extended to support you.
3. Your wrist should be directly under your shoulder.
4. With your abdominals gently contracted, lift your hips up as high as you can and extend the opposite arm straight up to the ceiling maintaining a straight line. Once you are balanced here slowly begin to raise your top leg as high as you can.Keep your hips square and your neck in line with your spine.
5. Hold for a moment at the top and then lower back to the starting position
6. Repeat for the 12-15 repetitions each side
1. Lay flat on the floor, or exercise mat, on your back with your arms extended straight above your head and your legs fully extended also.
2. Exhale, bending at the waist while raising your legs and arms to meet in a jackknife position.The upper torso should be off the floor.
3. Inhale as you lower your arms and legs back to the starting position.
4. Repeat for the 15 repetitions.
1. Get into a face down position on the floor, supporting your weight on your toes and your forearms. Your arms are bent and directly below the shoulder.
2. Keep your body straight at all times, and hold this position for the recommended amount of time. Remember to keep your back straight, core engaged and butt down. To increase difficulty, try raising one arm or leg. Hold for a minimum of 60 seconds.
1. Stand up straight with your arms by your sides and your feet shoulder width apart.
2. Squat down and place your palms face down on the floor in front of you. Kick your legs behind you so you are in a push-up position.
3. Do one push-up, then pull your legs back under you into the squat position, keeping your palms face down on the floor.
4. Stand and then jump in the air, bringing your arms over your head to reach for the ceiling.
5. Repeat for 15-20 reps
For more descriptive workout routines and fat burning exercises check out the Three Phase Program!